I was looking at old copies of Weight Watchers magazines when I spotted a gorgeous snapshot of lemon bars. I swear I only glimpsed at the image for seconds but that was enough to develop an insatiable craving for everything lemon and lime. Trying to satisfy my craving I came up with this recipe for coco-lime cupcakes.
- 1 box of Duncan Hines white cake mix
- ½ cup egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 20g shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Zest of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 8oz low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 20ml vanilla extract.
- 1 ½ cup icing sugar
Yields: 24 cupcakes
Weight Watchers Point Plus: 4 points her cupcake including icing.
Directions: for cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Use a hand mixer or a stand alone mixer for this step. In a large mixing bowl, at low speed beat the cake mix, egg whites, applesauce, shredded coconut, lime zest and lime juice until the batter is smooth. Use a spatula to incorporate any cake mix around the edges of the bowl.
- Spoon the batter into your cupcake tins until each one is 2/3 full.
- Place cupcakes into the middle rack of your oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. After 20 minutes insert a toothpick if it comes out clean you are done otherwise allow for a few more minutes of baking.
- Let your cupcakes cool before you apply icing otherwise it will melt and be difficult to work with.
Directions for icing:
You can prepare the icing while the cupcakes are in the oven.
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese and vanilla extract, slowly incorporate the icing sugar until the mixture is smooth.
- After the cupcakes have cooled completely decorate your cupcakes with icing.